Sunday, March 23, 2014

Post-Spring Break Roman Relaxation

Ciao tutti!

It's been one week since spring break ended, but the weather in Rome has begged otherwise. The last seven days have truly been perfect: sun and 60s. Now, I recognize that 60s probably means "cold" for all my family and friends back in Texas; it definitely means cold for Romans. But since going to school in Nebraska, I've learned that 60s is an awesome spring temperature, especially with the sun warming you up! Needless to say, I've gotten in plentiful amounts of Vitamin D this week by sitting outside between classes.



Tuesday night, my friends and I went to an Irish pub for karaoke night (and a belated St. Patrick's Day celebration). It was a lot of fun to hang out with all my friends since we had all been off on our separate adventures over break!

I was planning on going to the Vatican Museums on Wednesday, but when I woke up, I found out that there was a bus strike. Since our campus is about a 40 minute walk to the Vatican, I decided to just stick around on campus (and soak up the sun in the courtyard). In a way, it was nice to have a day to completely relax after the constant movement of spring break.

Friday afternoon, Audra and I walked around Trastevere for a bit. We grabbed some gelato and ended up on top of a hill overlooking all of Rome. It was a great afternoon! And I was able to watch Creighton beat Louisiana-Lafayette that night.

On Saturday, I walked around a lot of Rome, hitting up the famous sites like Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, and the Trevi Fountain. It was a pretty day and I just wanted to take some pictures and enjoy the atmosphere. I even went to my favorite gelato shop (yes, I do have a favorite now) Giolitti and got a cone of just coconut - yum!




I also visited the Capitoline Museums, which is a huge collection of ancient Roman art and sculptures. It's home to the bronze statue of Romulus and Remus too.






That night, I went to dinner with a bunch of other JFRC students and our campus priest. It was a blast and the pizza was some of the best I've had. There were so many locals waiting to get a spot in the restaurant, so you know it had to be good!

Overall, it was a great weekend and I'm so glad I got to spend it relaxing in Rome. Too bad there's always the school aspect to think about. Oh well, all I can think about is the Creighton game starting is less than an hour! 

Arrivederci (and go Jays!),
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment