Monday, December 16, 2013

For the Love of Italy

I am glad to say I'm writing this post from the comfort of my own bed. Finals are over and I am finally home (along with all of my belongings)! The fact that I will be in Rome in less than a month still hasn't fully sunk in yet, but it has taken over most of my thoughts recently. With Rome on my mind here are some of the things about the Roman and Italian culture I am looking forward to experiencing again!
  1. Gelato
    • Best ice cream in the world, hands down. Sorry Becker ice cream, but you've been beat.
  2. The mix of urban and ancient architecture
    • I personally think one of the coolest things about Italian culture (specifically in Rome) is how the bustle of everyday life goes on around ancient artifacts. Sometimes, Rome seems like any regular city, but then you turn the corner and, BAM, there's some ancient temple!
  3. Ease of access to multiple types of transportation
    • I love how in Italy, and Europe in general, people travel in all kinds of ways. I especially love trains, so it will be exciting to live in a country with so much transportation via train!
  4. Being from Texas
    • While this probably seems like it came out of left field, there is a story behind this: People who work in gelaterias, pizza shops, and any other touristy shop love to ask tourists questions, especially about where they are from. My last time in Rome, the workers would ask where I was from and they would get the biggest grins when I said I was from Texas. They would laugh and pretend to shoot guns in the air or spin a lasso, things that are stereotypical of Texas in popular culture. Of course this is not true anymore, but it always made me laugh. So I'm pretty excited to see more reactions of regular Italians when they find out I'm from Texas. 
  5. Nutella
    • Nutella is a staple in any Italian breakfast. From nutella-filled pastries to toast with nutella, it makes for the perfect breakfast addition!
  6. Walking
    • I love to walk. My family can attest to this, especially my mother. Romans, as well as most Europeans, still do a lot of walking to get to places and I am really looking forward to this aspect of being abroad.
There are so many things to love about Italy and these are only a few off the top of my head. I can't wait to immerse myself in the Italian culture, but still be able to take classes and live with Americans.

Arrivederci!
Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment