While traversing Europe for four months sounds EXTREMELY awesome, it does mean leaving the lovely Creighton University and my amazing state of Texas (Nebraska is cool, but, let's be honest, nothing can compare to Texas). There are going to be so many things I will love about my new home in Rome, but there will also be a number of things I will miss about my current homes.
- My family and friends
- Obviously, these people will be the things I miss most. I love my family so much and really enjoy spending time with them during breaks. But trust me, I did not feel that way about my family before I left for college. I know I will miss my friends a whole lot (probably more than my family, sorry about that). It's hard to imagine a day without seeing my 3 roommates and countless friends around on campus. It is also weird to think I will need to make new friends next semester. So shoutout to all my friends; you will be missed!
- My sorority sisters
- Y'all get special acknowledgement because I am seriously going to miss seeing all your lovely faces every Wednesday. And I'll really going to miss sitting next to you Natalie, you know what I'm referring to ;)
- Tex-Mex
- Gotta be honest: 4 months without Tex-Mex is going to be rough. Somehow I manage to survive until fall and spring break. But what is life without Torchy's Tacos, Pappasito's, Blue Mesa, Joe T's, etc?
- P.S. Everyone who thinks Roja is Mexican food should seriously take a trip down south (even South Omaha) and see what Mexican/Tex-Mex is really like.
- English
- I feel like this one is pretty self-explainatory, but it's going to be hard traveling around and only being able to speak English. As a high school Latin student, I will probably be able to read inscriptions on buildings better than conversing with people (and we all know which one of those is actually more important).
- Familiar environments
- Even though this will be such an exciting time, it's always hard to leave the comfortable and familiar atmospheres I am used to living in.
- Science classes
- As a Biology major, it's going to be pretty weird taking classes just in the humanities and go a semester without any science classes. Not sure whether I will actually "miss" science, but it will definitely be strange without it.
There will definitely be other things I will come to miss about America within my first few days and weeks in Rome, but I know that Italy has so much to offer. I'll focus on taking in the Roman lifestyle and culture, but it will be a rough start without the above things!
Arrivederci!
Gina

No comments:
Post a Comment